Pages

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Sneaky Altruism

My kids have been watching quite a bit of TV this week. (see last post) With TV, has come commercials. I gave up total control of the remote yesterday while I laid moaning on the couch, so naturally the boys watched the channels and shows that I tend to avoid because of the constant commercials.

A commercial for Fruit RollUps/Gushers advertises their campaign to help provide laptops to children in Africa. I could go on a rant here about children in Africa and how they could be a bit more specific. There are many countries there. Blah. Blah. Blah.

Anyways, when Logan hears Africa he immediately thinks Ethiopia for obvious reasons. He didn't say anything about the commercial during the day while we were watching TV. At least I don't think so. I was basically comatose. But it apparently struck a chord with him.

Fast forward to this afternoon's grocery shop. There was a big display on the end of the aisle for a sale on Fruit RollUps/Gushers. Normally this gets walked right past and the boys don't even say anything, but today Logan yells out, "Mommy! Fruit snacks! Buy them!"

"Nope, I'm not buying that junk Logan. Sorry."

"But Mommy kids in Ethiopia need them computers."

Game. Set. Match. And the happy little boy was able to get two boxes of Fruit RollUps with the knowledge that it would help kids in Ethiopia get a computer. I like to think that it was all out of the kindness of his heart, but I think his stomach may have also been involved.









No comments: