Pages

Friday, January 13, 2012

Scaredy Boy

Are all four-year-olds terrified of the dark? Lukas has been acting like he can't go anywhere in the house by himself because there are apparently dangers lurking behind every door and around every corner in our well-lit home. He asks for me to come with him to  go upstairs and get socks or to go pick out a book to read or brush his teeth.

Then at bed time there is a list of corrections that must be made. The closet door has to be closed. The hall light, not just the bathroom light, must be illuminated. The bedroom door must be open a certain amount and one of us must reassure him that monsters and ghosts do not exist. He hasn't made up his mind yet about this claim yet.

When I head in to check on them before turning in, I find the boys curled up in the same bunk with the light on. I don't like the idea of him feeling scared, but at the same time I simply can't take it too seriously. I don't think he is scared at all. I think it is just a nice way for him to get some one on one time with me.

The final proof that convinces me he is not actually scared of these things were his requests for Friday night movie night. He picked Monsters Inc. or Ghostbusters. He did this about thirty seconds after telling me he was too scared to go downstairs by himself to pick out a movie. I suppose I can humor it for awhile.

No comments: