Pages

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Day of Toons

I am the mom that lets my kids watch cartoons, but even I make an effort to turn them off and get outside and do other things. Some days we don't watch any at all! Those are the days I consider myself a fantastic mom.

Today I am sick, sick, sick. For twelve hours yesterday afternoon to the early morning today, I was vomiting every hour on the hour. I hope it was food poisoning so my kids don't get it. Today I am worthless. I feel like I was beat up yesterday. That is great news for the kids because it means they have been watching cartoons all day. They even took their nap on the couch in front of the TV. Because I am basically incapable of movement, I have had the opportunity to analyze a variety of children's programming and have a few observations.

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse is annoying. I have nothing against Disney and I used to watch Mickey Mouse cartoons, but this latest incarnation of Mickey Mouse and his pals is lame. It feels like they are trying incredibly hard to not offend anybody at all, but it offends me with its utter lack of imagination.

Phineas and Ferb gets one enthusiastic thumbs up from me. It is just funny enough that I can stand watching it and the kids stay engaged with the story lines. The older sister kind of annoys me, but isn't that what older sisters do?

Cartoons were better when I was a kid. Maybe it bothers some to see a cartoon cat build a giant cannon to kill a mouse, but it is funny. My kids don't laugh at all when watching Micky Mouse Clubhouse. They just sit there and stare at the TV, but Tom and Jerry makes them laugh and laugh. I like that noise.

Power Rangers, while not a cartoon, does cause children to punch each other in the face. If you want to avoid this, you should probably avoid Power Rangers.

Super Why is actually helping my kids learn the alphabet. Its great when a show is able to teach the kids something and do so in an entertaining way, but it is a fine balance that many educational shows just don't accomplish.

Now we are on to some Backyardigans episodes. This show is also quite tolerable. It's not funny really, but I like the stories and the kids like to dance with them.

Hopefully we will be off the couch and back up to our regular schedule tomorrow. I especially hope that none of the kids get this sickness.

No comments: