Pages

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Wishes

Sometimes as parents we all do things we regret and that we know will be ineffective. I seem to do this more often than I care to admit. I know in the long run my kids are going to be fine and to err is human, but there are times when I know I owe one of my kids a sincere apology for a poor parenting decision.

This morning there was much frustration in the getting dressed department. Lukas just flat out refused to put his clothes on. When all of my tactics failed to result in compliance, I finally picked him up despite him being a big four-year-old now, placed him in his bedroom, and said in a louder than necessary voice "don't come out of this room until you have clothes on! Argh!" I guess it worked because he was dressed less than five minutes later, but that doesn't mean it was a great method.

When he came downstairs and was dressed, I gave him a hug and said, "I'm sorry I yelled. I was very frustrated." Then I added the thought that was in my head, "Sometimes I wish I was a good mommy all the time."

And this sweet boy that I had just yelled at cupped my face in his hands and said, "Well mommy, wishes do come true."

Seriously, how did I get so lucky?








2 comments:

Maria said...

Hi Becky! So this post just perfectly encapsulated what parenting (especially when you are home all day with really little ones) is about to me. We are imperfect and just doing our best and are so lucky to get to start over each day and try to be better. Thank goodness for forgiving little kids!

Beckster said...

When he said that I was just shocked at how perfect it was. It was exactly what I needed to hear!