Pages

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Playground Charades

I like the playground. I like it a lot. Mostly I enjoy it because I can sit back and relax while my kids go berserk. The only bad thing about going to the playground is other parents.

Now I remember a time kids played on the playground alone. When parents sat on the benches and talked to each other or read a book while their babes frolicked unhindered on the dangerous and hot metal equipment or even let their kids go to the playground alone. Gasp! Those days are long gone for some parents, but not for me. Give me a hard bench and a good book and I will ignore my kids for hours.

But it isn't always easy. Even I sometimes give into those looks from other parents, as they watch my kids go down a slide alone and headfirst. They look up and glance around the playground, desperately trying to figure out which neglectful parent allowed their child down the slide without standing at the bottom and clapping "good job!" while giving step by step instructions to proper sliding. I often lay my book down and go stand in the vicinity of my children so the other parents are not tempted to call child services.

Whenever I go to the playground, I have to engage in a game of charades of sorts. Does this other parent want my kids around her kids? If I sit down, will the other parents start hovering over my kid and look around fearfully if he climbs too high? I watch body language and listen so I know their tolerance level. But really, I just want to sit and read. Sure, I am keeping an eye on my kids, but I really don't want to follow them everywhere.

Playgrounds are made for children and there is nothing worse for a kid than trying to climb up a slide ladder only to have another mom's butt in his face. So if your kids are too small for the equipment, take them to the toddler playground. If you are going to play on the equipment with your kids, then play, don't hover. And please just leave me alone with my book and learn to ignore my kids like I do!

No comments: