Pages

Monday, August 1, 2011

Packing it in . . .

For our anniversary once, oh so long ago before we had kids, we booked plane tickets to Seattle, threw some clothes in a bag, drove to the airport, and left. This all happened in the span of five hours. We spent three days driving around Oregon and Washington in our rental car and staying at whatever hotels we happened to find along the way. It was amazing and was not an isolated event. We booked tickets to London the day after the subway bombings because the price went down and were there less than two weeks later. It was the way we did things!

Fast forward five years. We are leaving on a trip in three days. We are taking all the kids with us and I feel like I have to prepare this time. I miss being completely spontaneous and doing things last minute, but I really can't forget to take a change of clothes on the plane for the kids or leave someone's inhaler at home. There are blankies to be washed and toys to be chosen. We have to mentally prepare them all for the trip and explain over and over what will be happening so we can avoid any meltdowns.

So here it is, three days before we are leaving and I am already in the process of packing. It's not my style, but I'm sure the extra preparation will be worth it!

1 comment:

Tara said...

I came across the packing checklist I used when Christopher was under 4. It is amazing how much more spontaneous we can be now. I would pack fir two adults and one child for two days before, now we can pack in an hour and hit the road....it's so nice. :)